Sender:
From:
Carlo Maccà <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:47:42 +0100
Dear David,
I presume your results could be improved by using a (table) tripod and a
separate flash, if supported by the camera. The built-in flash hardly gives
acceptable results at the distance required for photographing micro shells.
Fabio, Thomas, George and Chandrashekhar Phadke give very useful comments
and tips about using scanners. My HP 700 flatbed scanner , in daily use for
digitalizing 35 mm and larger slides and negatives as well as prints, works
very well for scanning shells, both large and small - by dozens at one time.
For thinner shells, depth of field is not a problem; for larger ones, best
results ar obtained from the flat side. And resolution is fantastic: imagine
photograhing larger subjects at 1:1 enlargement ratio on a A4 flat film to
be scanned at 300 dpi, or smaller ones at 1:10 ratio on 35 mm to be scanned
at the highest resolution. Caution: the screen must be carefully cleaned
after use, as sand can scratch the glass. Of course, a photographic quality
scanner may not be worth the cost for occasional use.
I used that scanner for other "still life" subjects; the results, printed
30x40 cm (12x16 inches), were much appreciated in photo competitions, also
winning a prize (the jury were not aware of the technique used).
Carlo