Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:00:58 -0500
From:
James Miller <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
Hi David,

The key to getting the very best shell shots is a good flash system.
Most onboard flashes produce acceptable results, but I've found that a
separate flash unit, fired as a "bounce" off a piece of cardboard
produces the best results. There are also flashes that accept "soft
boxes," which are diffusers that spread the light out more evenly,
thus reducing harsh shadows. Why don't you send me a couple of photos
and I should be able to tell you what you can do to improve them. Are
you using a manual f-stop? Most digitals tend to use larger f-stops
(like f2.4 for instance) in everyday use. I shoot all my shells using
a manual f-stop of around f6.5-7.3. Keep in mind that f-stops on
digitals are roughly half of a standard 35mm, so f8 in 35mm terms
would be around f4 or so on most digitals. This varies according to
the size of the internal sensor, but you can use it as a rough formula
for conversions. Also, while tripods are critical for tiny shells, I
rarely use one for larger specimens (anything over, say, one inch).

Best regards,
Jim