Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:56:48 -0600
7bit
From:
"Martin H. Eastburn" <[log in to unmask]>
I was an AFRS camera man when young.  That was before Television was
added making AFRTS today.
We bounced flashes off a white umbrella.  Noting super fancy just a
white inside  without much
writing...

The F stop increases the dept of field in any camera.  Larger number
means dept is deeper.
Small ones say your knee is in focus but the foot isn't.  Even worse -
finger to finger isn't.

If you camera has a macro or micro (depends on vendor) mode - often -
flower pictures - that is
best - it puts the lens into a macro mode and focuses to a shorter
distance and often native larger
f-stop.

Martin [ 'tons' of Nikon equipment and little time to shoot :-) ]

James Miller wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> The key to getting the very best shell shots is a good flash system.
> Most onboard flashes produce acceptable results, but I've found that a
> separate flash unit, fired as a "bounce" off a piece of cardboard
> produces the best results. There are also flashes that accept "soft
> boxes," which are diffusers that spread the light out more evenly,
> thus reducing harsh shadows. Why don't you send me a couple of photos
> and I should be able to tell you what you can do to improve them. Are
> you using a manual f-stop? Most digitals tend to use larger f-stops
> (like f2.4 for instance) in everyday use. I shoot all my shells using
> a manual f-stop of around f6.5-7.3. Keep in mind that f-stops on
> digitals are roughly half of a standard 35mm, so f8 in 35mm terms
> would be around f4 or so on most digitals. This varies according to
> the size of the internal sensor, but you can use it as a rough formula
> for conversions. Also, while tripods are critical for tiny shells, I
> rarely use one for larger specimens (anything over, say, one inch).
>
> Best regards,
> Jim
>
> On Feb 22, 2010, at 11:30 PM, David Kirsh wrote:
>
>> Interesting discussion and I appreciate the input I've gotten on
>> scanners.
>>
>> Jim, I've got a Canon SD 1200 with 10 megapixels. As a handheld
>> camera for micros, it hasn't had results to rival my former
>> scanning. But that might be for lack of a tripod or possibly a
>> higher resolution setting. I'd appreciate if someone can advise me
>> on it. I suspect I'll need to contact Canon's support, which I
>> haven't gotten around to yet.
>>
>> A few years ago, owner's manuals started to be written on an ultra-
>> simplistic level and today the owners of devices with lots of
>> features must piece together instructions by contacting the
>> manufacturer. Not coincidentally, I contacted Lexmark about the lack
>> of resolution (which turned out to be lack of depth of field) and
>> eventually shared via online chat with the tech support person that
>> I was creating images of micro shells. She said that she was
>> inspired to look for shells the next time she went to the beach.
>> "Oh, are you close to the beach?" "Maybe a half-hour or an hour from
>> the beach." "What state are you in? (I thought: maybe she's in
>> Florida or California). "Actually, I'm in the Philippines." I almost
>> fell off my chair. What happened out of this is that I got an
>> invitation to be shown around the island of Cebu, when I visit.
>>
>> David Kirsh
>> Durham, NC
>>

>> "When you're chewing on life's gristle, DON'T grumble. Give a
>> whistle!" --from Life of Brian

>> [log in to unmask] - a forum for informal discussions on
>> molluscs
>> To leave this list, click on the following web link:
>> http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1
>> Type your email address and name in the appropriate box and
> [...]

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/