Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:53:34 -0400
From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Keep in mind that Excel is not a relational database software. Relational
databases allow the user to use the so-called Boolean operators ("and",
"or," "but not," etc.) to prepare reports that can be very useful in the
management of a collection. This becomes more relevant as the collections
grow bigger.

For instance, if the user wants to know how many volutids from Australia are
in the collection, or what percentage of the collection was actually
collected before a given year, a relational database would allow for those
searches (queries in database lingo), whereas a spreadsheet-type software
like Excel wouldn't.

Cheers,

José
José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director and Curator
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
Editor, The Nautilus
www.shellmuseum.org <http://www.shellmuseum.org/>

3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road