Sender:
From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:52:58 -0400
Phil,
Tobago is difficult.  The southern 1/3 or so of the island is limestone.
Bucco Reef is good.  You can get a glass-bottomed boat and do some
snorkeling.  The guides aren't too keen on tourists collecting shells
though.  The rest of the island is basaltic rock reef.  Huge brain corals,
etc.   Gets deep real quick and the currents are dangerous offshore.  The
bay at Bluewater Inn in Speyside is decent.  Lots of cones, etc, but
everything is real encrusted.  Permits are SUPPOSED to be applied for with
the local authorities on Trinidad.  No one does handles this on Tobago.

Try to contact with Jim and Linda Jacaruso here in Florida.  They have been
there several times.  Good guides around Speyside are Redman (SCUBA,
snorkeling) and Remy (anything).  Be prepared.  It's expensive.  And don't
pass up a dinner at Jemma's resturant in Speyside.  Heaven on Earth.

Have fun.  It's a beautiful spot.

Kurt