Sender:
From:
"Arie W. Janssen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:27:21 +0200
Dear friends,

I must apologize, I am a new Conch-L reader, and maybe I do not have
sufficient experience in what you seem to call 'shelling' ... no more than
60 years I'm afraid, of which only 50 as a professional. Most probably
that's the reason that I was most confused by Mr Campbell's reply
mentioning,among others, Miltha childreni.

For the first time in my life I read the word 'umbus' and I tried to find
out what it means, using the transcendental world wide web, inclusive of
wikipedia ... but at no clear result.

Finally, Google turned up with an almost unreadable text of Gould 1852, who
apparently wrote "
Interior silvery white, with a very
broad drab-white Umbuswhere he was describing 'Acephala'.

Obviously the 'umbus' is situated at the interior of bivalves ? Some other
Google results mentioned the word 'umbus' too, mainly commercial sites, but
most referred to 'Col-umbus', which didn't help me a lot. If 'umbus' was
mentioned in the context of Mollusca, it usually was connected with a
colour: umbus pink, umbus white and so on.

At my wit's end I decided to believe that what was meant with 'umbus' is
nothing else than what we usually call the 'umbo', or'umbones' in plural.

If so, why the heck does one use 'umbus' ??

Arie W. Janssen, Gozo, Malta
http://users.waldonet.net.mt/ariewe/
Download my papers from: https://sth-se.diino.com/ariewjanssen/papers

"brighter than glass, and yet, as glass is, brittle"