Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2010 17:35:44 -0400
8bit
From:
Dennis sargent <[log in to unmask]>
David,

The name pattersoni Clench, 1945, was applied to the solid dark brown color
form of Oliva bifasciata (Küster in Weinkauff, 1878).
It is only a color form and has no taxonomic status.
Tursch and Greifeneder lumped about 10 or 12 valid Caribbean species into
Oliva fulgurator. The actual fulgurator is not found in the Gulf of Mexico.
Sterba, 2005 and Hunon, et al, 2009 corrected that in subsequent works.
Oliva bollingi Clench, 1934 is a junior synonym of Oliva bifasciata (Küster
in Weinkauff, 1878).  bollini is a misspelling.
There are a few other species and forms that Ed Petuch and I are revising,
as we have been able to examine many (dozens and hundreds) more specimens.
Oliva magdae and Oliva finlayi will become forms of Oliva bahamasensis, (all
Petuch and Sargent, 1986)
We expect the new book to be done in about a year.
Complicated is an understatement!

Best wishes,

Dennis Sargent