Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 18:07:55 -0500
From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
CT,

Since it was purchased on Ebay, I would write to them and explain this
apparently fraudulent listing. I would see what relief they would afford.
Also, if purchased with a credit card, I would write to them and see if
they would be able to help. Once when I had a problem with a dealer, I
wrote to the credit card company and filled out some forms that they sent
to me. They credited my account and I suspect they either went after the
seller or wrote the cost off their books.

> Aloha,
> Recently on eBay i purchased a Cymatium intermedius Pease. The picture
> showed it as a sinistral shell. Suspicious i asked the seller to provide
> extra pics. Sure enough the extra pics showed it as a sinistral. I thought
> getting this shell for my Reverse Coiled Gastropod buddy Harry Lee would
> be cool as he didn't have one yet according to the Jax site.
>
> I got the shell last week. I was thinking of re-forwarding the box to
> Harry but i had to just look at it myself before posting it. I was floored
> to see a small dead dextral intermedius. I wrote the seller who explained
> it was the same shell. I looked at the pix again only to discover she had
> all the pictures reversed! Boy was i sad to think that in this age that
> people can't tell a normal picture from a mirrowed image shot.
>
> Well i contacted the seller, even provided pix of her item she sent vs the
> corrected pix of the true item. Even explained to her fully what a dextral
> and sinistral shell is and added a pix from the Jacksonville site for a
> visual aid. After all this what i got was her admitting to reversing the
> pix but she felt she didn't have to refund my purchase due to the fact she
> was a single mom with kids and spent the money. I guess that latter part
> was true because her feedback shows her buying a 14k ring right
> afterwards. Sorry Harry.  CT

> click leave the list.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

President
American Malacological Society 2010-2011

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine