Sender:
From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2011 21:51:40 -0400
> Liu, L.-L., D.W. Foltz and W.B. Stickle, 1991. Genetic population structure
> of the southern oyster drill Stramonita (=Thais)* haemastoma. Marine Biology
> 111: 71-79.
> *[I don't see how the editor(s)/reviewer(s) could have allowed the "=Thais"
> to be thus expressed.]
>
> Harry

Unfortunately, such confusing usage is not as uncommon as one would
hope.  A former genus name does not belong in parentheses between the
genus and species-only a subgenus should be there.  Likewise, "="
fails to indicate which name is considered valid.  Stramonita
haemastoma (="Thais") would help somewhat.

This is not to pick on Liu et al.; all too many other examples can be
found as well.

--
Dr. David Campbell
The Paleontological Research Institution