Sender:
From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2011 13:50:48 -0400
Dear Mr. Phadke,

I've not looked at the problem systematically, but it seems to me
there are many strongly-supported instances of interspecific hybrids
in the marine gastropod family Strombidae - including Peggy's exemplar.

The only instance of intergeneric hybridization I recall the case of
is Harpago chiragra (Linnaeus, 1758) and Lambis lambis (Linnaeus,
17858). The evidence seems to rest on only four specimens, but it has
been a hot topic for several years running. A shell is figured in
Kronenberg (2008: 530; pl. 210, figs. 2a, 2b), and I personally find
it rather convincing.

Harry

Kronenberg, G., 2008. Strombidae. pp. 514-571 including pls. 202-229.
In Poppe, G. [ed.] Philippine Marine Mollusks Volume 1 Gastropoda
Part 1. ConchBooks, Hackenheim, Germany. 1-758, including 312 full page plates.