Sender:
From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 23:52:58 -0400
Recently, I collected from drift in Boca Raton, Florida and came across a 4mm cap-like shell I thought I knew. The name had "tri-" in it, and possibly "Ama-" something...couldn't find it in Abbott (1974) or Colin Redfern's Bahamas book or Harry's Marine Shells of NE Florida. I felt slight shame..."I ought to know this one."

As I was taking photos of it, my flash must have jarred loose that it is supposed to be parasitic on other shells. Somehow that led me to crack open Okutani's Marine Mollusks in Japan and there it was: Amathina tricarinata (Linnaeus, 1767).

Now that I'm a little reassured that my memory isn't totally gone, I'd like to know if others have found this species in the western Atlantic.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC

"It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction.
 Fiction has to make sense." - Mark Twain