Sender:
From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:58:32 -0500
Eddie, another thing to consider, if not too far, is to get your
parents to drive you into Western RI, at  Galilee, Rhode Island, by
the ferry to Block Island. They can go enjoy a nice bowl of chowder
while you can look for shells in the lobster traps or around the
ground where the lobster traps are stacked up. Someone will have
thereby already done all the hard work, and you will likely find a lot
more (and better stuff)  including from deeper water than you would on
your own with one small dredge. Even on a slow day you can find tons
of small shells like Urosalpinx cinerea and Anachis translirata and
usually some moon snails, and maybe some whelks. On a good day you may
find Astarte clams or Buccinum undatum (waved whelks from deeper
water).

The one time my friends went dreding in the sound (I stayed ashore)
they found a few Astarte undata that way. THis was somewhere north of
Setauket on Long Island.