Sender:
From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2012 15:29:33 -0500
some habitat types are environmentally stressful along the parameters
of - for example- salinity and are typically dominated by bivalves, eg
the Neuse River in NC, where it is largely brackish for a decent
length, is dominated by bivalves like Rangia cuneata with nary a
gastropod in sight. Or at least I never saw any from there, first or
second-hand.

In some similar riverine areas on the west coast (eg San Diego River
mouth) a very fast flowing current also seems to create a similar
environment, dominated by species that are infaunal, presumably enough
to avoid bottom scouring, such as Cryptomya californica.

I am sure many other specific examples are out there.