Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2012 18:19:54 -0400
7bit
From:
Marlo Krisberg <[log in to unmask]>
I've cleaned hundreds of Haminoea.  My method is similar to Chris'.  Fill a
nice quart container with wide mouth (Tupperware) with water and dump in
shells.  Change water at least daily to eliminate acids from decay.  About
the third day with the container about 1/4th full add water from faucet at
high pressure (high enough to swirl the water, but not so much as to force
contents out) until about 3/4th full.  If the animals are deteriorated
enough, the swirling water will wash them out of the shell.  Empty to about
1/4th water and repeat.  If unsuccessful, wait another day and try again.
This technique gets the animal out ASAP and rarely damages lips.  I don't
bleach.

Marlo