Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2012 17:23:19 -0400
7bit
From:
Dale Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
The timing of this comment is perfect for me. I'll be visiting the coast of Norway in October, and was hoping to find a few common shells on the shore, or perhaps connect with someone there who might want to trade something common but pretty, for something common but pretty from my collection. I was wondering whether or not I'd have any problems either taking or bringing back a small number of shells in my luggage.  Does anyone have more information on this for me?

---- Thomas Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I can get or send a small box of shells for about $2 within the states.  That seems pretty cheap.  A friend and I double up on the overseas auction orders, having all of the shells sent to just one of us.  Then they are split and and the one who got the total order sends the correct shells on to the other person.  Saves on overseas costs.  The horror stories about imported shells sometimes being stopped and tagged with a hefty inspection fee are only too true.  Customs doesn't really care about shells, but Fish & Wildlife does.  I had to pay a $25 "inspection" fee for a $10 box of shells a few years ago.   Oh, and you do not have the option of saying, "Keep the shells!"  The bill shows up separately in the mail and comes complete with lots of federal paperwork with typical threats for non-payment.

Tom E