Sender:
From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 11:31:40 -0700
Martin,

Good question about the dealer's choice of shells.  I always assumed that it was a
first come first served type of deal.  I have noticed that normally if there is
really a big difference in quality most dealers will list the shells separately,
as they do not expect to get the same price for a shell that is F as one that is
Gem (or most often for size differences).  If this is really an issue about a
particular species - just inform the dealer of your priorities, i.e. color than
condition then size or size then condition then good lip then operc --- or
whatever.  In 99% of the cases I have found it best to trust the dealer.  I have
always been treated more than fairly and I have dealt with a variety of dealers (I
guess that really makes 100% of the cases).  The only times I have been
disappointed were my own fault.  In each case I ordered a shell with a chip or
some other flaw that the dealer listed but I forgot and when it showed up in the
mail I was (for a few minutes) a bit upset.  Thankfully, I remembered the listed
condition before making an ass of myself with a dealer who just sent what I
ordered.  I'll bet most problems work the other way and every dealer out there as
a bunch of horror stories about no payment or bad returns or something similar.
So trust the guys, to a man (woman) they provide a more than fair service.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA