Sender:
From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:05:16 -0500
here is an online response.in case of any general interests,  besides
shells its a great place to visit for the beaches, wild ponies
etc....although i dont think the spiny murex shell pictured  on the
page you linked to occurs there.

here are two references for you....the paper linked to by harry was
recently discussed on conch-l, it includes specific collecting areas.
albeit from long ago, that may be worth a look. the area in the paper
is a fairly short drive from Assateague. anyplace you see piles of
oysters is a good place to snoop around.  they could have species
mixed in such as  the big Urosalpinx cinerea, big  Eupluera caudata,
Stramonita canaliculata, Anadara ovalis, and Ischadium recurvum, and
maybe others.

excerpt from recent COA post- check conch-l archives for that, and
more posts possibly on there .....

Dick Petit has reminded me that Urosalpinx cinerea form follyensis B.
>> Baker, 1951 was applied to members of a giant population of the
>> species occurring at Folly Creek, VA (Delmarva Peninsula, USA).
>>
>> I was able to find its original description at
>> <http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/34889#page/95/mode/1up>.
>> Note that the holotype measures 51.2 mm and is at the ANSP, quite
>> possibly in the same drawer as that of Fusus cinereus Say, 1822.
>>
>> My feeling is that the Baker taxon is likely an ecophenotype rather
>> than being genetically isolated.

another useful reference is the little paperback book "The Art of
Shellling". by chuck and Debbie Robinson,  which has a ten page
section on Assateague with some specific places to visit. (its a good
little book that mentions specific spots at specific places in the US
to find shells).

when i was there for a whole summer, very long ago, Toms Cove was a
good place for intertidal shelling. its mentioned in that book too.
for low tide, they will need to be prepared to get wet and muddy
possibly.

the beach should be good for large shells and also they should be able
to find the small Donax there, the ones we call D. fossor.  Salt marsh
periwinkles will be on the grass in the salt marshes pretty much
anywhere.

i hope that helps.

'