Sender:
From:
Scuba Chris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2013 15:07:07 -0500
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 10:03:21 -0600, Steven Coker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have a recently retired colleague that is a dive master for a dive shop in
>Jupiter and he has reported the same thing 3-4 weeks ago on the reefs off of
>Jupiter (80-100 feet).  He indicated that where they might see 1-2 deer
>cowries on a dive they were seeing dozens.  I asked about cold water and he
>did say they had a rather unusual influx of ~50 degrees F water a few days
>before the deer cowries started appearing.  I would not have thought 50
>degree water could kill them but maybe it slowed them down enough to make
>them susceptible to increased predation.
>
>Steven

This happen to the Hawaiian Cypraea population years ago as reported by me and others first in HSN.
Dead cowries were being reported by sport divers, dive shops, and collectors throughout the Hawaiian
chain. Since this occurrence years ago our tessellata population never came back. Only recently the
gaskini started a slow return. Mother Nature has everything on a schedule. Our rashleighana
population went extinct since the late 70's and ostergaardi in the late 80's(though still being found in
Midway, about 1,200 miles NW of Oahu).