Sender:
From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2013 22:08:28 -0400
this is old/unsurprising news to those of us who live here.  the
argument about the ocean barrier beaches needing to be preserved so
they can continue to shield the mainland is reasonable, though there
are proponents and detractors about what to do in the several
locations where the storm actually breached  entire islands  and cut
new inlets. another complex case involves  what if anything to do
about a large freshwater pond at the jamaica bay wildlife refuge,
world-reknowned for harboring migrating birds, that was now breached
and directly connected to the bay,  and  is now saltwater.  assisting
those with property directly on the outermost beaches  has always been
controversial. but now it includes those  on  bay edges or near the
many saltwater canals that traverse residential neighborhoods on the
south shore of long island....i have one family member who still
bemoans that your government, and by default, you,   are paying a part
of the $31,000 or so  that each affected homeowner (including another
family member) is getting from FEMA. many of those neighborhoods were
also built on fill or marshlands/wetlands  originally.