Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2013 14:59:31 -0400
7bit
From:
Dale Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Ellen, are you talking about mushrooms and truffles? Do the slugs beat you to them?

I seem to be receiving more offers of slugs than of snails. But yes, I'd be interested in your slug trails - especially if they have had a chance to dry a bit and turn silvery. This is for a short (about 5 minutes) presentation to children who will attend future science fairs put on by the School of Life Sciences at ASU. I'm the only mollusk person on campus because ASU doesn't have a marine anything program. I'm just a volunteer, but the donated shell collections have been entrusted to me to enhance and create some outreach presentations.

We seem to have only two kinds of snails around Phoenix - Rumina decollata, and Cornu asperum. There may be a small slug around, too. But Phoenix is so dry that we almost never find the critters or their trails.

---- Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Snails aren't so common here, but slugs we got. You want slug trail shots?
Those I see all the time. They're my competition, always into the
chanterelles & boletes!