Sender:
From:
Aaron Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 20:54:22 -0900
If you are having a conflict between scanner and printer because of a shared
parallel port, you can get cheap switchboxes that will allow you to share
multiple printers and/or other parallel port devices from a single port.
These run for under $20 (and that's here in Juneau). As stated before by
others, software is the key. Part of the problem also might be choking a
rather slow port (and ink squirters by nature aren't famous for their
processing speeds) with big chunks of data. I like to scan with the scanner
software, then use a program like PSPro or even Lview to alter the image to
managable file sizes. It is important to realize what you need in quality
and don't. Is it important that your photo be 32-bit True Color? Or can you
get away with 256 colors? Just some musings.... Take care- Aaron

At 11:28 PM 11/22/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks for your expertise.  I understand about pixels...Been into desk
>top publishing for years.    It still doesn't make sense that the scanner
>companies don't give you the right software and their tech support people
>aren't much help either.
>
>I had one scanner that would scan....but would not print as long as it
>was hooked up.
>I could place the scan on a page and save it.  Then unhook the scanner
>and rehook the printer and then I could print (what a hassle).
>
>The first scanner I had was a Umax and had to put a SCSI in my computer
>and my computer never did recognize it.   I tried everthing including
>many calls to UMAX tech support and they couldn't figure it out either.
>
>I wonder about these guys who work under tech support.  Their big answer
>was turn your cables around.  What a joke!

Aaron Baldwin
Webmaster:
http://www.ofseaandshore.com