Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2014 21:39:03 -0800
From:
"Ron G. Noseworthy" <[log in to unmask]>
Hi, everyone!

This thread brings back memories of dining on Placopecten magellanicus when I was living in Newfoundland.  I enjoyed them in restaurants and also at home, courtesy of good friends who would go SCUBA diving for them.  My wife and I would have them pan-fried or baked in a delicious casserole.  The other commercially-obtained species, Chlamys islandicus, is smaller, and I remember having only one or two meals of them.  P. magellanicus is now harder to obtain in Newfoundland, but now there is a thriving fishery for C, islandicus in my former home town.

I have eaten plenty of the Korean Mizuhopecten yessoensis but I don't think they are as tasty as the big Placopecten.

Regards from Korea!
Ron Noseworthy