Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 23:55:33 -0500
8bit
From:
Fred,

I have been using Open Office for several years on my netbook computer
(OO3 and OO4). I am pleased with the word processor, spreadsheet, and
presentation (Powerpoint equivalent) aspects of the office suit. I often
convert the files to MS equivalents so that they will open on my office
computer. You can save documents in OO format or a number of other formats
as well.

I have not used the OO database, however, it seems to have most, if not
all, of the functionality of MS Access. For the price (free) I would
recommend folks to try it and it might be a nice cost alternative to
Microsoft Office.

> On 1/29/2015 3:38 PM, Callomon,Paul wrote:
>>  pay-as-you-go seems to be the wave of the future.
>
> * on another tack of this thread, has anyone used the Open Office Calc
> database for cataloging? I just use it to open Excell files and convert
> them to dBase, but I've never looked into how it would be to work with.
> And being shareware it wouldn't be vulnerable to pay-as-you-go antics.
>
> fred.
>            Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
> Daily Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
> Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
> Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
>      RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0
>     on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52'N 75* 42'W
>      (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca/

> click leave the list.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasurer
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine