Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2015 22:07:52 -0800
From:
"Ron G. Noseworthy" <[log in to unmask]>
Hi, everyone!

I've got a few comments on working with microshells, which are plentiful here on Jeju Island.

When you are collecting micros, don't forget the "algal turf" (bryozoa, branching coralline algae, and short, thick seaweeds) which often covers rocks exposed at low tide.  This can often be a good place to collect live micros.  Simply tear off a bagful of the turf and take it home for processing.

Also, rock brushings can be quite productive, using a moderately stiff brush and a bag to hold the brushings.  I use a shoe brush and a large ziplock bag.  I have found that, although the tops and sides of the rocks are good, the bottoms of the rocks may hold the most micros.  One person can brush fairly well, but a two-person operation, one to hold the rock and the other to brush and hold the bag, is much more productive.  I have obtained many micros, live and dead, using this method.

Also, if time permits, when you find a good driftline that contains micros, take time to remove the larger shells and fragments, and any other material, before you sift for micros. Whenever possible, take a small backpack to hold your sample and sieves, small kitchen sieves with at least two different-sized meshes,   Sift only small samples, dividing them into separate bags, so that when you sort out the micros later there will be a greater percentage of them.

Collecting micros can be an enjoyable experience; the real work begins when you start to identify them.

All the best from Korea!
Ron