Sender:
From:
MR ART WEIL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 11:46:14 -0500
Dear Tom;-
    Let me (not contend) but add to your well-thought-out statement
on Museums and dealers.
    All museums are not created equal. They see their missions
differently. Even those WITH large shell collections have different
approaches. Of course the Smithsonian sees itself as a repository for
anything of a natural historic or scientific interest---whether it is
used for display now or not. Our museum in Cincinnati sees itself as
a small regional museum. The shells they are most interested in are
those from the area, which by definition means fresh water Unionids,
etc.. The Sanibel (Bailey -Mathews) museum probably sees itself as a
display museum.
    Museum missions change as well. When Ralph Dury was curator here,
we had a very nice "Shell-Room". He was replaced by a director whose
primary interest is in birds. The museum displays reflect the
interest of their directors and their boards of directors.
    What this means is that if one is to donate ones collection to a
museum, one should certify that the museum is interested in YOUR
interests. This is especially true for small, regional museums.
     That's enough for now.
                    Art