Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2016 14:31:19 -0400
7bit
Thank you for forwarding the news about Phil.

I will miss him.
Shortly after I took on the challenge of cleaning up and digitizing the Chester Melville shell collection at Arizona State University in 2012 I put out a request for help with our Liguus shells.  Phil took one look at the awful photos I put up on Conch-L and contacted me right away. He flew out to Arizona to meet with me and help me organize and verify what we have. We maintained contact for a while as he continued to offer me help.
I am eternally grateful on my own and on behalf of Nico Franz, director of the Life Sciences Collections at ASU for the tremendous help he gave us.
Thank you, and good by, Phil.

Dale Snyder

---- Harry Lee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

=============
To the list,

Phil Poland was the quintessential sheller.

He understood the science, was indefatigable in the field, worked
fastidiously as a curator, was and exceptionally generous with his
both his knowledge and his booty.

Even in a lifetime, very few people will learn as much as he about
Florida mollusks. A substantial amount of that fund of knowledge was
the result of first-hand study rather than simply being passed on
from our past masters. Now he is with them, and we who knew him are
diminished yet grateful for the enlightenment he brought to our lives.

Rest in peace, Phil.

Harry Lee