Sender:
From:
Michael LaFosse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:26:19 -0500
> one argument is that it is good if not too
> many people are shell collecting, and better yet, only those with real
> interest who adopt prudent collecting practices.....

Twenty years ago I eagerly enlisted people to join in on the shell collecting
fun through seaside expeditions, exchanges, and purchases of specimen shells
from lists.  Eventually I began to realize that these growing collections (even
ones with good data) had no where to go: museums did not want them; other
collectors could not afford to buy them; housing and proper maintenance becomes
a problem and scientific value and material is often lost.  I do not generally
enlist new collectors anymore.

I do encourage an interest in the study mollusks and shells, for educational
reasons and artistic inspiration, and I encourage purchasing good books instead
of shells.  I applaud the wealth of material on the web. Visits to important
collections and to museum exhibits are also educational and fun.

> Apart from financial gain for shell dealers (which is not necessarily a
> "wrong" thing),

My advice to young collectors and  families: save your money, do not buy shells
(unless you have money to burn).  Collect responsibly in the field if you have
access, and if you do, get some guidance from the professionals so that you may
possibly make your efforts more valuable.  Build your collection through trade
of such material, and make your collection accessible for view and study. To
those of you who are lucky enough to pursue your interest in shell collecting
in this way I encourage you to learn more about building a select "wet
collection" of preserved mollusks and try your hand at field photography or
video. To those of you who do not have field collecting opportunities I can
only comment that if your interest were in bats, or bears, say, I hope that you
would not lament over not being able to fill your home with taxidermy specimens
of same.

I do not deny the personal satisfaction that building a fine shell collection
can bring, nor the scientific value of some (very few) others; but I began to
question the motivation of many collectors as the pastime for them became
rather self-centered: "I want it and I should have it to round out my
world-wide collection".  Are most of these collectors really interested in
natural history or is it really something else they desire to feed?

Serious shell collecting through purchases can put collectors at financial risk
as they graduate to rare shell purchases, which usually is a bad investment as
values most often decline, and such collections are hard to turn into cash if
need be.  I have seen marriages ruined.  And yes, I know that these concerns
are not limited to shell collecting (just look at beanie babies for one
example).

Human interest in shell collecting will probably never die, but it does not
have to grow "like a weed" either.

Respectfully,

Michael LaFosse