Sender:
From:
Sylvia in Alabama <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:59:28 -0600
Thanks to all who assisted me in determining if my husband and I had a
world record Janthina janthina.  I received e-mail from Kim Hutsell this
morning, saying the GIF (made from a scan with a tape measure - yes, you
can scan the shell without making a photo) I sent him was sufficient.
The old record, set in 1991 was 38.5mm - ours is 44mm.

Nearly all the Janthina janthinas we collected at Seagrove Beach in May
1984 were about the same size.  We have given away several through the
years to collector/friends.  So those of you who have one of our shells
should get out the calipers.  We may have given away one larger than
what we kept.

Thank you again,

Sylvia Edwards
Huntsville, AL