Sender:
From:
MR ART WEIL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 12:11:10 -0500
   Two questions. 1. I have a small pecten, which at first glance I
mistook for an operculum. Same color, same thinness. It measures 16.
4mm high and 18.9mm wide. Very delicate. There are barely visable
lighter spots on the shell.Could it be a juvenile? It comes from the
Thomas Say collection via Columbia College.
  2. Evolution: Are there any existing shells that we can deffinately
say developed from an exact species in Earlier Pleistocene, and then
back to some earlier species back in (say) Miocene? When we find
fossils, we know that there are similar existing species, but are
they traceable (DNA?) to some exact species in the past or just to a
general family?
  3. See!? No pigs.
                   Art