Sender:
From:
Andrew Dickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 12:35:56 -0400
> I'm using this alias because I don't want anyone to think I'm this
> stupid.
>         My question is: How is a Latiaxis distinguishable from a Murex? Now, I
> can look at one or the other and say (with confidence), "This is a
> Murex!" or "This is a Latiaxis." But I am not sure what characteristics
> I am looking at that insure the difference.
>         Q-Man

Dear Q-Man,

I don't think there is one good answer to the question.  It is probably
a chaotic series of answers. Looking at the overall variability of
members of certain genera will only lead to confusion.  Break everything
down into genera.  What is consistent about the genus Favartia?  Take
the answers and compare your findigs to various Latiaxis.

On thing that Murex do not have is continuous uninterrupted spiral
scales like some Latiaxis, however Latiaxis do not always have
uninterrupted scales.  Latiaxis that only have spines are not as solid
as Latiaxis with fine scales.

I don't know how Latiaxis are broken down into genera these days.  I
understand that there have been a lot of changes since the 1985 Latiaxis
book by Kosuge & Suzuki.

The very rare Murex hystricina from the Caribbean looks very much like
some species of Latiaxis.

"The world would be boring if it didn't have its share of chaos."

Andrew Dickson