Sender:
From:
Fred Vervaet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 09:36:12 +0100
Interesting remark about the "red forms". I came across a puzzling shell in Sri
Lanka last year. It is the usual form of Cyprea Talpa, however the bottom side
is reddish instead of the usual dark brown. Could this be natural or does it
mean that this shell has received some treatment? I could however not find
anything unusual checking the shell, but the problem is also where to look for.
There a definitely no cracks in the shells. How can I find out whether this is
something genuine or does it really exist?

Regards,

Fred L.J. Vervaet
Amsterdam, the Netherlands

"Yes, dark-colored shells (not just cowries) can be changed into "golden
forms" or "red forms" by baking for 30 minutes at 300 degrees Farenheit".