From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:28:01 -0300
As some of you know, Carlos Alfonso has been travelling in E. Africa for
a while.  He has sent me this interesting account to pass on to the
list, so i will do so!
-Ross.

Subject:
          Kanimambo from Maputo
    Date:
          Tue, 23 Nov 1999 07:41:34 -0800 (PST)
   From:
          Carlos Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
      To:

Dear Ross,

"Bechili kunjani ?" - hello how are you ?.
Just e-mailed to tell you that "xiamxiy" - I am fine - her in
Maputo-Mozambique and that I am enjoying the work on the shrimps of the
Maputo Bay. The people I work with at the Fishery Institute are very
nice and we all have had a good time together these first to weeks. It's
still to soon to tell you about shells of this area but have had some
nice experiences at Inhaca Island, a lovely island just 40 km off
Maputo. Collected very interesting shells there... In the Maputo Bay
shelling is pour and the water is rather muddy (it is mainly a mangrove
area) since, there are 2 major rivers - Maputo & Incomati - and a couple
of others - Matola, Umbeluzi & Tembe - that all end up in the Bay. It is
good though for bivalves, some are very, very nice. The Maputo Bay  has
a huge area ( 960 Km2) and is rather shallow, with about 250 Km2 being
exposed during low tide and only 175 Km2 being deeper then 10 meters.
The real Indian Ocean lies on the other side of the Inhaca Island and
that is were all the shells are at. Any way, on the weekends I have
wondered around and in a near future I will try to go to Xaixai,
Inhambane and Bazaruto, people here say that shelling is good there.
Will tell you all about my adventures then.
        "Nicasaliliy mina" - I'm tiered - I think its the heavy heat that we
have been having these last couple of days. Hope to here from you soon!
Wishes of the best.
Your always friend,
Camane some where in Africa
Carlos.