From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 00:24:29 -1100
Both.  The swing between tides is at the maximum on the full and new
moons.  Certain times of the year the low and high are both lower, and
at other times, even with a large swing, the low tide will be fairly high
while the high is really high.  I was out last night snorkeling around low
tide time, and it wasn't a particularly low tide in Samoa.  The lowest ones
seem to be surprises, not shown on the tide calendar, but due to nearby
low pressure systems and winds that blow the water back from the reef
(north winds on Tutuila).  By the way, the miters and augers were out
and about, as were the Polinices and Conus pulicarius.  The area I was
in is usually covered with Conus eburneus, but only a few were visible.
And not a single olive was out crawling, even though you may see 20 or
30 in the same area on a dark night after low tide.  The moon was bright
enough to follow trails in the sand without a flashlight.

Happy Holidays,

Don