From:
ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:55:32 -0400
No loss there Frank , the weasel does get it's nose in other's business, but then , that is what ferrets do .
I find your subject right on the money. With dwindling sources of material, bans on where we can collect, a world that finds
collecting of any sort to be selfish, and politically incorrect to say the least . But shell collecting does add to the
tourist trade for many countries , many places are great collecting spots because for some reason or another its not
favorable for regular tourists, I.E. lot's of bugs , little to no emmenities, hostile inhabitants, or just too far off the
beaten track.
I absolutely agree with Frank that the utmost attention needs to be paid to the membership problem , if we build our armies
of collectors up in numbers too great to be ignored we would have a much louder voice and when a group cries out for another
shelling ban the army can move in  and persude those powers to be to consider the loss in tourism as a dirrect result of
inacting a shell ban. I can't see any Chamber of commerce inacting a law that would effect their cities income.

So here's the main idea for a possitive disscussion, ways to get people to become interested in shell collecting, malacology
and related activities. Almost everyone at one point in thier lives have wondered down a beach and found a colorful,
beautifly structured sea shell . This is the point we might want to angle after , the memory of finding that shell , the idea
that there are many more out there and sharing the experience with others who have seen the magic in sea shells .

So lets hear some contructive ideas on how we can not only help our own clubs but all the clubs , it's time to stop looking
at our clubs as a singular entity and more like the boy scouts where there are many troups but all fall under the flag and
guidlines of the scouts . well there's a start. anyone else want to pick up the ball and have a go at it . Mark de ferret