From:
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:46:26 -0700
Tis true, tis true.  The reddish hue seen during a lunar eclipse is due to
the light travelling through the earth's atmosphere  before hitting the
moon.  Even though in shade, enough light is close enough to give the moon a
bit of a glow and if the atmosphere the light travels through is a bit
dusty, hazy, etc. you get the red color.  Pretty much like a nice sunset
here on earth.  Or so I read.

As for shells, anyone out there happen to have a Neritina violacea with an
operc and/or a Neritina turrita with an operc?   If so can can I beg,
borrow, trade for or buy?  I really just need a (color) picture of the operc
but would happily handle or purchase the attached shell.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA (where my wife, her sister, and my oldest
daughter, watched the entire eclipse deal outside in the cold while us tough
men folks watched through a window from inside the warm house -- beer in
hand)