From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:11:15 -0500
Dear Patty,

Since corporate culture has become the Official World Religion, it is only
natural that anything saleable is just another commodity. I've heard that
corporations are willing to pay young people to get permanent tatoos with
logos or slogans on some visible portion of their faces or heads.

It won't be long before some multinational corporation realizes that a
particularly notable invertebrate could bear an attractive brand-name or
slogan permanently at bargain basement prices, with tax write-off to boot.

Selling off invertebrate names is symptomatic of something more systemic
and less visible (could that be related to the corporate ownership of the
press?). One little example, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission is now
moving to allow "used nuke" licenses to be sold. In other words, if a
nuclear utility decides to gut its safety program as "too costly," it can
simply buy a license from another company. In tandem with this, the NRC is
moving to completely eliminate  public hearings on nuclear plants that
leave a legal record of evidence. Not to worry, the outstanding fellows at
the NRC are comprised of some of the finest people from the nuclear
industry itself. Are they concerned about public safety? They bet our
lives, they are.

As a drug research coordinator last year, I saw that at $10,000 per patient
enrolled in a study, the doctors had an incentive to make the patients meet
the inclusion criteria--even if their diagnostic scores were too low.

In all spheres--including education, health, politics--integrity and human
values are being sold to the highest bidder. Why should science be so
prissy? If a few thousand dollars can be gained by someone or some entity
in a position to receive them, why not? Never mind that some of the
consequences of this mind-set will reverberate for many generations to
come.

So don't complain if we get species named delcofreedombatteriensis or
Aetnalifeinsurancei. Those folks paid for science and we didn't.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC