From:
Debi Ingrao <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 14:14:02 -0800
Aplysia love algae.  I used to work at Wood's Hole for Howard Hughes
Medical Institute growing algae to feed larval and adult Aplysia.  They
prefered a red algae when metamorphosing (going from a free floating
larval stage to a crawling stage).  As adults thsy would graze on red or
green alga.  They would have the best growth rates with cultured Ulva
(green) and Agardhiella (red).  During the summer, they would be feed wild
mixed algea raked off local rocks or drifting.  In the winter wild stocks
were harder to collect and we would depend on cultured macroalgae.  Thirty
to forty adult Aplysia would eat 200 lbs a week.

debi

Ingrao
Mote Marine Laboratory          Phone: (941) 388-4441 EXT. 436
Benthic Ecology Program         Fax: (941) 388-4312
1600 Thompson Parkway
Sarasota, Fl  34236             e-mail: [log in to unmask]

See: http://www.marinelab.sarasota.fl.us
We are an independent, nonprofit, marine and estuarine research and
education facility.
Opinions expressed here are NOT MML policy unless so indicated.
        Don't CLAM up!                  THINK SAFETY