From:
peta bethke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:55:34 -0300
Hello Gang* ,
Well the Ferret has returned with many shells, much news and good news.
For those who might have been wondering,  Eleuthera has fared well after "Floyd" flew through town, some clean-up is still
going on (at an Island pace) . The new sea wall in front of Ethels cottages in now fully repaired and strong as ever . The
reefs didn't fare as well . Much of the Sea grass has been reduced so thusly the amount of grass loving critters have left
town . But we did find such beautiful shells , Tulips(pepper conch) with the characteristic yellow mouths (no monster ,
spouse beating size but respectable still) as a matter of fact we tossed back any that weren't upto spec. The Milk conch
(strombus costatus) were found by the bucket full though we never took too many , many have a strange second set of knobs ,
most of these were found at Palmetto beach.
Yellow mouthed Pomum Murex were abundant as were the florifer, the size ranged considerably from 30mm - 60-70mm, many black
as coal. I also found a Pomum around 110mm alive (for a short while).
We also traveled to Cape Eleuthera , the shelling wasn't there but if you ever wanted to swim through a giant salt water
aquarium this is the place, the critters that we found were outstanding, under every rock we found something new, but like i
said , no shells(and YES we did know the right place) .
so in wrapping up, the food great (because I made it , Duh!!) the people ,,,a whole new "latitude",,, the accommodations,
Outstanding !!! and the shelling better then most but it will take a few more years for the goods stuff to return ... We
didn't find one conus abbotti(not even a dead one or a piece of a dead one), The cypraea are gone ,(not even a dead one or a
piece of a dead one )and the cymatiums are gone(not even a dead one or a piece of a dead one )... So don't go if all you can
do is shell, don't go if not finding shells will cause you to break out in spontaneous "whining" and mostly JUST HAVE SOME
DANG GOOD FUN....
ferret, now tanned and ready to clean the captured booty.

(term used to represent a group of people with similar interests , not a group of gun toting thugs {in this case})