From:
Amy Lyn Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:36:21 -0500
Dear Conch-l subscribers,
     I have assured Helmut privately several times that neither the list
owners nor the list program is holding or rejecting any email from him.
The Conch-L list guidelines relating to subscriptions and posts are clearly
stated on the web site and they are the rules the list is governed by.  It
is unfortunate that Helmut's recent messages were sent to the list instead
of to the list owners as it makes it seem we are the cause of his problem
or at least unsympathetic to his problem.  That is not the case.  Helmut
seems to be having an intermittent problem posting to the list, however it
is not occurring at the listserver and therefore I can not help him resolve
or correct the problem.  The mail headers of his most recent posts to the
list show that his messages were delayed at a mail gateway,
mail.netwing.at, which is probably his internet service provider.
Amy

FYI I have included the following information concerning the management of
list subscriptions:

The listserver can and will automatically drop a subscriber if email from
the list can not be delivered for several days.  If this happens the
subscriber should receive an automated email telling them they have been
removed and why.  This is caused by email problems at the subscribers end
not here at the server end.  It can take a while to determine why this
happens and I can not always correct the problem.

As list owner I can subscribe or unsubscribe people to the list.  I do this
either because someone has  requested my help because of a problem with
their subscription, or because of repeated errors trying to deliver list
email to non-existent email accounts.  In this case the subscriber would
receive an email telling them I have subscribed/unsubscribed them from the
list.

The computer that runs the listserv program or other parts of the UGA
network are occasionally shutdown for upgrades or repairs.  This does not
happen often and it usually only lasts a few hours.  These usually are
scheduled between 5 and 7 am MY TIME.  Once in a while there are problems
with the Internet feed between Athens and Atlanta that delay Internet
activity.  This is very rare.

Amy Edwards, Program Coordinator ------ [log in to unmask]

Georgia Museum of Natural History    --------    phone (706) 542-4137
University of Georgia            --------            FAX 706-542-3920
Athens, GA 30602-1882       --------       http://museum.nhm.uga.edu/
"A man's mind, stretched by new ideas, can never go back to its original
dimensions."             Oliver Wendell Holmes