Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 20:36:28 +0200
This is Marc Agren writing from Spain.
I've been subscribed to this list for more or less half a year and I am
really happy now that you are talking about my favourite subject:
Landsnails.
I've been helping/giving advice to some of our fellows mainly privately on
localities ets...and you have been also for me of great help you all during
these months. But I can't solve for you what kind of Cyprea is this or that
because of a lack of knowledge in this field. But now I try to show my aim
of sharing my small amount of knowledge with landsnails.
Well, I just came back from a month journey to Sao Tome & Principe Islands
in the Gulf of Guinea, not a easy place at all for snails...

Ok, I agree in all your comments about the places where the snails are
usually hiding, under stones, in crevice, under rotten leaves etc...But
there is one thing missing...you Need to find always the original forest,
not a human made landscape....you can have jungle, everything covered in
green but not the aboriginal snails there....reason may be one hundred years
ago it was a plantation??, slash and burn agriculture?, etc...
I am used to collect in Morocco in desert conditions, and that is for me
easier than finding a tropical snail in the Jungle...because you know where
they are hiding always...may be they are 20-30cm under the soil hidden in
the roots of plants or deep inside crevices but your "snailsense" tells you
where they are....in karstic enviroments you find dead shells all around,
Ok, but find the live ones...take large sticks and try again in caves,
crevice, always in the shade side...and you will find them.
But what to do in jungle conditions and in a place without limestone...just
stay staring at the bark and the leaves for hours and you will find
some...under the rotten leaves, more or less in horizontal position take the
first leaves of the top...most of the snails are usually inside these first
two or three layers....the rest are deep inside the mould and soil.
I also agree that it is easier to find snails in not appropiated conditions,
dry weather etc...because they are hidden away, it is not easy in a forest
always covered in rain everyday...because they can be everywhere....but try
a forest that has a dry/wet season, after the first rains...when snails are
finishing their aestivation...or the desert in rain!!!...but that happens
just every 4 years in Morocco....and gives you just a couple of days of
catch.
Another concern is when you are looking for a endemic species that has a
very limited range and as ALWAYS the last ones that saw this snail are (if
still alive) over 80 to 130 years old...the names of the mountains/valleys
have changed...try to solve this question...find this couple of mm snail on
that LARGE island....it's a challenge!!!, this is what I like the most of
snails!!!. And when after years you find it your are proud of it...it's like
a treasure hunt.

I don't mind if there are few books/resources for Landsnail lovers...it's
better...if it is difficult it is a challenge to survive in this cowrie
world with landsnails!!!, it is too easy for Murex lovers....we can make
more discoveries and really, after driving in pothole roads for hours then
climbing a mountain to the 1500m covered in moskitoes and ticks and finding
these beautiful creatures...I have never had a thought  about staying at a
beach in the heat with a beer at hand....We are different!!

Marc Agren
Recovering from a supposed Malaria