Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 01:14:13 EDT
I agree with Andrew that it is good the shells of the Alabama Museum were not
thrown away, and label problems aside, it is my opinion that the Florida
Museum is among the best curated in the country (USA).  However, I still moan
over the loss of such a fantastic collection from the state of Alabama.  It is
a tragedy to lose such a state treasure.    I know Alabama and Auburn both are
attempting to establish a state respository, yet working in the state and due
to past history I am very reluctant to deposit material anywhere in Alabama.
I usually send excess material to out-of-state museums.
        As a side and a warning:  If the state of Tennessee does not get its
act together it too will suffer the loss of a state treasure; i. e. the
Herbert W. Athearn Collection (aka Museum of Fluviatile Mollusks).  Mr.
Athearn is young a heart, but is not getting any younger.  At his passing
(which I hope is many years down the road) what will happen to his extensive
collection which contains many paratypes and species of wwhich he was the last
to see and/or collect alive.