From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 12:54:21 -0700
Hi Lynn and Nora,

"The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Seashells" is a fairly
good little book, except that it has the problem that all the Audubon books
have of having the photo pages and the write-ups of the shells in different
sections, so you have to jump back and forth. It's small, and has a plastic
cover, and each species had a nice description including interesting notes.

Peter

At 03:43 PM 7/3/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Nora,
>
>The one we alays used was a Golden Field Guide by Abbott and Zim
>(illustrations). We always called this book "The Little Green Abbott,"
>for its pale green cover...wonder if it's still green? Yep...the cover
>is still green, but now it's a deep teal green. Same book though. Again,
>I am not sure how available it is, but it was listed on Amazon.com
>(listing copied below) so it looks like you can get it in 4-6 weeks.
> >
>>  4.
>>      Seashells of North America
>>      by R. Tucker Abbott, et al. Paperback (January 1969)
>>      Our Price:$13.95
>>
>>                               Special Order
>
>Lynn
>
>NORA BRYAN wrote:
>>
>> Once upon a time I remember an inexpensive handy little field guide to
>> North American Seashells (by Dance and Abbott I think) that was spiral
>> bound and had pretty good pictures of many common North American
>> Shells.  I didn't buy it and now wish I had.  Does anyone know whether
>> it is still in print?  I have been unable to get it even though it is
>> still listed on some booksellers lists.  Haven't seen any come up on
>> bibliofind lately either.
>> Other than that, is there another book that could be recommended as a
>> Field Guide for North American Shells (rather than as a heavy tome).
>> I'm thinking of something I could slip into a day pack.

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca,
lifetime student of zoology and computers.
Step into my website:
http://www.intergate.bc.ca/personal/seashell/index.html
(includes Seashells of British Columbia, links and my resume)
        -Links to add, remove, alter?  Just ask!
        -This is an on-going project.
        -Suggestions always welcome :-)