From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 01:03:23 -0700
Survey AND Good North American Field Guide:

For my area (Pacific coast of North America) I use the following books
the most. Each has it's good points and bad points.

Kozloff, E.N., 1983. Seashore Life of the Northern Pacific Coast: An
illustrated guide to Morther California, Oregon, Washington, and
British Columbia. Vancouver: Douglas & McIntyre
--This book is fantastic for describing all the invertebrates found
in a given type of habitat, thier associations and lifestyles. If
you know what kind of area your going to, you can read up about what
you may find there.

Kozloff, E.N., 1987. Marine Invertebrates of the Pacific Northwest.
Seattle: University of Washington Press
--THE definitive key to our local molluscs (and other inverts). I
use this as the key to what's out there, then look at other books
for better photos. Great for comparisons.

Harbo, Rick M., 1997. Shells & Shellfish of the Pacific Northwest.
Madeira Park BC: Harbour Publishing
--Fantastic photos and writeups. This my most recent local book.

Morris, R.H., D.P. Abbott and E.C. Haderlie, 1980. Intertidal Invertebrates of
California. Stanford CA: Stanford University Press.
--Big, big book. Full of references to the primary litterature.
Coffee table size...did I mention it's big?

Rice, Tom, 1773. Marine Shells of the Pacific Coast. Tacoma WA: ERco, Inc.
--Show most of the local species, but has the disadvantage of showing
tiny shells actual size.

There, that's what I use most for my area. Hope it helps,

Peter Egerton
Vancouver, Canada

At 07:04 PM 7/3/00 -0400, you wrote:
>In the hopes of getting this group on another track, I would like to pose
>a question.  This is one that can be answered by the most and least
>experienced of us.  I am working on a paper dealing with the malacological
>literature.  I would like the input of the group as to what, say 10 works,
>you find the most useful.  Now, if you specialize in cone, I would
>be interested in your cone references.  If you specialize in terrestrial
>gastropods, what works are most indispensable to you.  If you only work
>with the fauna of New Zealand, what are your top picks?  The list can be
>works dealing with a specific region, a specific genus or family, they can
>be the best ten general books that a beginner might find useful.  hey
>might deal with photographing shells or maintaining them in an aquarium.
>The works most likely will be books, but they might be a monograph or a
>paper.  Some may have been published last year, some might be 50 or 100
>years old [some groups don't get worked on frequently :)]
>  There are some 300 of us on the list.  Hopefully, I'll hear from many of
>you.  If you don't want to post to the list, feel free to send your
>recommendations to me.  When I have compiled all the info, I will post the
>results on the list.
>  Thanks for your assistance.  Now let's get to it whether you deal with
>marine, freshwater, terrestria; recent or fossil mollusks.
>
>Charlie
***
>Charlie Sturm, Jr
>Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
>                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
>Assistant Professor - Family Medicine

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca,
lifetime student of zoology and computers.
Step into my website:
http://www.intergate.bc.ca/personal/seashell/index.html
(includes Seashells of British Columbia, links and my resume)
        -Links to add, remove, alter?  Just ask!
        -This is an on-going project.
        -Suggestions always welcome :-)