From:
Peter Froehlich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 20:24:20 -0400
If you like A Natural History of Shells then I would suggest that you also
read Privileged Hands by the same author.
 If you would like a nice spot in Georgia to collect then I would recommend
Cumberland Island National Seashore.  The Boat ride over and back from St.
Marys is approx. $10 and you should call 912-882-4335 for a reservation as
I think they are booked full most of the time.  There are primitive camp
sites on the island which you can reserve through the Park Service
912-882-4335.  For shell collecting I recommend the high tide line on the
south half of the island down to the Jetty (get off the boat at the first
dock). No live collecting allowed but there are plenty of dead shells.
Have fun and let us all know the highlights.

Beth DeHaas

----------
> From: Elbow mc <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Howdy Folks, & Shell books & Odyssey
> Date: Wednesday, April 15, 1998 12:02 PM
>
> First off, thanks to everyone who gave me such a warm welcome to CONCH-L.
>
> Melissa, I'm sure you know more about shells than I do. I really only
just
> started to look deeper than my one Audubon field guide these last two
weeks. I
> haven't found much in the library or bookstores around here. I think it's
> because the water in Long Island Sound is so opaque that the locals don't
> realize that there's anything beneath the surface. Connecticut is a cruel
> tease, you would think you are by the water, but somehow.....
>
> Still, I found one really swell book: A Natural History Of Shells by
Geerat J.