From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 01:34:56 +0000
Dear all,

I'm glad some of you have had a chance to read the article. It was quite a
bit of word-processing but I felt it was important to circulate.

There are many questions which are raised and I hope there are some educated
answers from the list (and more questions as well):

Were at least some of the scientists on the list aware of these deep water
coral habitats and endemic mollusks?

Are some of the recently discovered deep-water species that have been
discussed by the popular shellers' magazines and popular shelling closely
associated with these habitats?

Are the industrial fishing methods described in the article also the means
by which at least some of the recent deep water specimens in circulation are
captured? What are relatively reasonable and safe methods?

I have felt uncomfortable at times with the sheer size of the haul at the
various scallop dumps. It means that the bottom has been swept "clean" and
whatever by-catch dies. A fellow sheller told me that the damage is probably
minimal because of the nature of the bottom where the calicos congregate and
because the sea is so huge. What do others think? And what do we know about
the extent of damage to habitats associated with various types of catch and
methods of fishing?

What is our responsibility to minimize destruction while we are benefitting
personally by being able to collect deep water specimens?

Has COA taken any stands on habitat destruction besides issuing a credo on
responsible personal collecting habits?

I'm sure I can think of more questions but I'm eager to hear what others
have to say.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC