Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 19:42:05 EDT
I lived on the bay for three years and the shelling is almost nonexistant.
The water from the New River drains from two suger factories and fish and
shells are scarce.  If you go out around Rocky Point and south about seven
miles you come to a break in the barrier islands , the salinity goes up and
shells are found.  The old people used to tell me about the "Norte" or north
wind that would empty the bay and anticuties that could be found.  The bush
around the area is full of old mounds and I know of one old dump of pottery
that is on the shore about five feet high and like a shell midden of painted
and incized shards. I would walk the shore and pick up flint points but left
the pottery alone.

HD42WLA