From:
Henk and Zvia Mienis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 19:07:10 +0200
Dear Antonio,
Aerial transportation plays an important role in the colonisation
of new ponds, lakes, canals, lagoons and even emerging new islands.
Aquatic birds are known to transport snails among their feathers and small
mussels
may stick to their legs. Waterbeetles/bugs may carry Ancylid-snails on their
elytra
and Pisidiums on their legs, when flying from one pool to another.
However, we are helping snails also in reaching a new pond by moving aquatic
plants from one pond to another or by stocking it with "nursery-grown" water
lilies (which are usually collected in the wild and carry often snails or
their
gelatinous egg-masses on the underside of the leaves). Carp and Goldfish
brought to those sites may be infected with the glochidia (larvae) of large
freshwater mussels. So numerous possibilities exist how freshwater molluscs
can reach new areas.
Best regards,
Henk K. Mienis