From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 23:04:42 +1100
Dear All,

I have just read the material at the link that Andrew Rindsberg posted a
week or so back at:
http://ukanaix.cc.ukans.edu/~paleo/author's_manual.html#app3, in which it
says that permission to reproduce (part of) a work need not be asked if
published before 1906. I would like to know if anyone has an idea if this
generally applies worldwide, and where I might be able to find more
information on this.

The reason I am asking is that I am about to acquire some originals and
reproductions of 'real old' conchological literature, which I would love to
put on CDROM and make available to the shell world. All of these are things
published mid to late 19th century so well before this 1906 date, and the
publishing companies no longer exist and i would expect copyright, if it
ever existed, to have expired long ago. Am I right in this assumption? Does
anyone know more than I do?

Patty

Bookshop: http://www.booksofnature.com

Publishing and info site: http://www.capricornica.com

Capricornica Publications/Books of Nature
P.O. Box 345
Lindfield NSW 2070
Australia

ABN 39 003 916 210

phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098
mobile 0412 865030

E-mail: [log in to unmask]