From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 06:24:53 -0500
Dear Geoff,

This response was sent to the "Atlantic" forum, but it seems the initial
inquiry has sort-of spilled over into the Conch-L stream, thus:

"I happen to have a specimen of Amalda vernedei (G. B. Sowerby, 1859); see
<http://www.mindspring.com/~strombus/amalda.htm>.  It is not related to A.
hilgendorfi (von Martens, 1897) or A. heerlari van Pel, 1989.  The latter
author was mistaken in the assignment of his new taxon to conspecificity
with A. v.; don't you think?"

Harry

At 08:03 PM 1/22/01 +1100, you wrote:
>I am no Olive expert but I have one higendorfi from off Japan ans a couple
>of vernedei herlaari from NW Australia and I cannot see the difference
>Geoff
>

>>From: Atlantic <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Amalda hilgendorfi (von Martens, 1897)
>>Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:42:52 -0000
>>
>>TO MAY IT CONCERN
>>
>>in ATLANTIC OLIVIDAE Forum
>>
>>" [ I would introduce some comments about Amalda hilgendorfi (von Martens
>>,1897).
>>It seems to be a widespread species with a large distribution in Western
>>Pacific (Japan, Taiwan, Philippines, Papua-New Guinea, NorthWestern
>>Australia) between 150-300 m depth and New Caledonia (with the subspecies
>>Amalda hilgendorfi
>>richeri Kilburn & Bouchet ,1988 -between 450-600 m) and even in western
>>Indian Ocean ( North of Madagascar in 300-500 m ).
>>
>>Another close species Amalda vernedei ( Sowerby ,1859) from China seems to
>>be the same species, just more inflated with a wider aperture and with a
>>subspecies : Amalda vernedei herlaari Van Pel,1989 from Arafura Sea (
>>Australian North West Shelf ) trawled from 400 m or more.
>>
>>I am waiting for your comments about both these species which seem to form
>>a single widespread species with a great variability in form,size(50 to 100
>>mm )and bathymetry.
>>
>>< JOIN DISCUSSION HERE >

>>     Bull. Mus.natn.Hit.Nat.Paris 4° Serie 10,1988 Section A n°2:277-300
>>-A new subspecies of the Genus Amalda from the Arafura Sea P.L.Van Pel
>>    La Conchiglia N° 233 January-April 1989 p 13-15
>>-Australian Marine Shells T 2  B. Wilson 1994 ]"
>>
>>                                                               Patrick
>>LEPETIT
Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm