From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 00:54:23 -0500
Dear Avril, Dear Peter, Dear Conchlers,

In don't believe that there are land- and freshwater books at the golden
nature guide.
but a quite a useful work is the Cumpendium of landshells, but you couldn't
freshwater
species in it. The best way for finding books is the website of Mr. Groh,
Germany,
who has rich experiance in books and who is trading and selling worldwide.

His website-address is: www.conchbooks.de

He has worldwide conchbooks also in English and I think it is the best to
contact his
e-mail from this website.

with best shelling greetings

Helmut from Innsbruck

Helmut "Helix" Nisters
private:
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.netwing.at/nisters
office:
Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
Feldstrasse 11a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86 - 37
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.tiroler-landesmuseum.at

----------
Avril,

I can suggest two possibilities.

Seashells of the World, a guide to the better known species by R. Tucker
Abbott ( a golden nature guide)  my copy is copyright 1962, there may be a
newer version(s). I could not find an ISBN #

Seashells of North America - A guide to field identification.  by R Tucker
Abbott (a golden field guide)  A revised edition was published in 1986. ISBN
0-307-13657-4

To find used copies of these I would suggest websites like www.
bibliofind.com which allows you to both search for the book you want and
also enter a request for a book and will notify you when one of their
booksellers has one for sale.  (I am still waiting for a 2nd edition of
American Seashells.  Some Dutch person who wakes up earlier then I do got
the last one.  :-)  )

Beth DeHaas
Whitefield, ME
(A dutch women who knows how to be patient (stubborn?)